- Teaching U.S. History: Dialogues Among Social Studies Teachers and Historians, co-edited with Diana Turk, Robert Cohen, and Terrie Epstein (Routledge, 2010) (To purchase a copy, click here.)
- History as Art, Art as History: Contemporary Art and Social Studies Education, co-written with Dipti Desai and Jessica Hamlin (Routledge, 2009). (To purchase a copy, click here.)
Selected Essays + Blog Posts
- “Queer Histories, Videotape, and the Ethics of Reuse,” The Blog of the Center for Humanities at the City University of New York (December 2017).
- “Title 44 and the Uncertain Future of Free Public Access to Government Information in the U.S.” Digital Library Federation Blog, September 11, 2017.
- “The Digital Library Federation Launches a New Interest Group on Government Records Transparency and Accountability,” D-Lib Magazine, May/June 2017.
- “Endangered Data and the Arts,” Cataloging the Pushcart Years: La MaMa’s Archives Blog, May 2017.
- “An Archive of Racial Fantasy,” Ligament Vol. 2 (No.3) January 2017.
- “Can We Center an Ethics of Care in Audiovisual Archival Practice?” Digital Library Federation Blog, January 25, 2017.
- Co-editor (with Tom Twiss), “Libraries Under Occupation: A Conversation with Palestinian Librarians,” Progressive Librarian: A Journal for Critical Studies and Progressive Politics in Librarianship (Winter 2017).
- “Police-Worn Body Camera Footage: A Public Record?” Part I and Part II. Society of American Archivists Issues and Advocacy Blog, October 2016.
- “Candy Darling and Copyright: Expanding Access to the Videotaped History of 1970s-era Experimental Theatre,” Cataloging the Pushcart Years: La MaMa’s Archives Blog, December 2015.
- “Jeff Weiss, ‘And that’s How the Rent Gets Paid,’ and the Dilemma of Archiving Performance,” Cataloging the Pushcart Years: La MaMa’s Archives Blog, July 21, 2015
- “The Native American Theatre Ensemble and La MaMa,” Cataloging the Pushcart Years: La MaMa’s Archives Blog, June 2015
- Ragini Devi, Routledge Online Encylopedia of Modernism. (2014). PDF.
- “An Archive of Occuprint Posters,” co-written with Lindsay Kaplan. The Scholar and the Feminist 1 (2013)
- “There is an Alternative: Historical Storytelling & Political Practice,” in Ezra Berkley Nepon, Justice, Justice, Shall You Pursue: A History of New Jewish Agenda (Thread Makes Blanket Press, 2012). PDF.
- “Anti-Homophobia Education: Predicaments and Possibilities,” Perspectives On History: The Newsletter of the American Historical Association (Special Issue on “Controversy in the Classroom”), May, 2010.
- “Against Tolerance: Critical History Methods in Anti-Homophobia Education,” in Laraine Wallowitz, ed. Critical Literacy as Resistance: Teaching for Social Justice Across the Secondary Curriculum (Peter Lang, 2008). PDF.
- “Theater of the Assessed: Drama Based Pedagogies in the History Classroom,” Radical History Review 2008 (102), pp. 99-110. PDF.
- “Ragini Devi.” Biographical entry for Notable American Women: A Biographical Dictionary, Volume 5, 1976-2000, (Harvard University Press, 2004). PDF.
- Village Voice
- “Mother in Arms: A Review of Elliot Gorn’s Biography of Mother Jones” (March 27, 2001)
- “The Girls’ Guide: 20 Years of Cleis Press” ( June 20, 2000)
- “I Yam What I Yam: A Review of Karen Finley’s A Different Kind of Intimacy” (November 28, 2000)
- Natural Herstory: Sharon Hayes’s The Lesbian” (November 24, 1998)
- “The Lonely Hearts Club: A Review of Wong Kar-Wai’s Film In the Mood for Love” (2000)
- “They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?: A Review of Billy Bob Thornton’s Film All the Pretty Horses,” (2000)
- “Guts and Glory: A Review of Emily Carter’s Glory Goes and Gets Some” (2000)
- “Once more… With Passion: Sade’s Lover’s Rock” (2000)
- “The Trouble with Normal: A Review of the Television Show Normal, Ohio” (2000)
- “Baggage: A Review of the Film Bounce“ (2000)
- “The Sum of the Parts: Showtime’s Sex in the Twentieth Century Reviewed” (1999)
- “Boygirl, Boygirl: A Review of the Film Boy’s Don’t Cry” (1999)
Selected Creative Non-Fiction
- “Jennifer Miller’s Zenobia: The Anatomy of a Performance,” Movement Research Performance Journal #44 (March 2014)
- “The D-I-Y Toy Theater of U.S. Foreign Policy History: Iran, 1953,” a do-it-yourself, educational, cardboard, toy theater construction kit that I created in 2008. PDF.
- “The Dear Iran Project: An Anti-War Work-in-Progress,” a zine, of sorts. PDF.
- The Circus Amok Coloring Book (2007) text by Rachel Mattson, images by Mornography. PDF.
- “girl times two minus one,” in Genevieve Field, ed. Sex and Sensibility: 28 True Romances from the Lives of Single Women (Simon & Schuster, 2005). (Read an interview with the editor of the book at Gothamist.com)
- “Drive” (Nerve.com, 1999).
- The Seductions of Dissonance: Ragini Devi and the Idea of India in the United States, 1893-1965 (PhD Diss, NYU, 2004)